Terms and conditions.
We've updated our Terms & Conditions:
Here’s what you need to know.
Effective October 24, 2023,
- Account registration continues to be a requirement to accumulate Petro-Points. However, unregistered accounts may now earn points in the following circumstances:
- Members with existing unregistered Petro-Points accounts currently subject to an earn restriction for lack of registration may resume earning points on January 1, 2024 if they completed a transaction where their Petro-Points card was swiped or scanned between October 24, 2021 and October 23, 2023.
- Physical Petro-Points cards obtained by new Members at Petro-Canada locations after October 24, 2023 may earn points prior to account registration (activation). However, all points issued on these cards will expire 30 days from the date of issuance and will be unavailable for redemption until the account is activated online (at which point 30-day points expiry will no longer apply, and any unexpired points will become available to be redeemed).
- Members with linked RBC payment cards will continue to earn points, regardless of whether their Petro-Points account is registered.
- All unregistered cards may be subject to restrictions on the ability to redeem Petro-Points (as determined by Suncor from time to time), until they become registered.
- Petro-Points may be earned at additional participating Partner locations, as specified by Suncor from time to time.
The following terms and conditions apply to anyone who has been issued or has received a Petro‑Points card (a “Member”). If you have questions about the current terms and conditions, please call 1 (800) 668-0220.
- The Petro‑Points Program (the “Program”) was developed and is operated by Suncor Energy Products Partnership (“Suncor”) as a loyalty program for drivers who visit Petro‑Canada’s retail stations and purchase gasoline and convenience store items. Each Member must be a Canadian resident over the age of 18 to participate in the Program. Where a person under 18 years of age wishes to enrol in the Program, a parent or guardian must complete the application and consent to these terms and conditions.
- The Program is based on a Points system (“Petro‑Points”). Petro‑Points will be awarded on all purchases made at participating Petro‑Canada retail stations and the Partner locations specified in Section 27 below, with the exception of tobacco, vaping products, certain age-restricted products, gift cards, transit tickets, taxes on non-petroleum purchases, purchases at A&W restaurants, or any other items specified as exclusions from time to time.
- Members must register their account by: (i) joining Petro-Points online at www.petro-points.ca or in the Petro-Canada app, or (ii) activating a physical Petro-Points card online at www.petro-points.ca or in the Petro-Canada app, and have a valid e-mail address associated with their account to earn Petro‑Points. In addition, points will be awarded on Petro-Points Accounts regardless of the account’s registration status where the Petro-Points Account: (iii) has been linked to an RBC payment card, (iv) was used to complete a transaction between October 24, 2021 and October 23, 2023, or (v) is connected to a physical Petro-Points card obtained at Petro-Canada locations after October 24, 2023, in which case all points issued on such a card will expire 30 days from the date of issuance and will be unavailable for redemption, until the account is activated online.
PETRO‑POINTS WILL BE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS:
Eligible Convenience Store purchases
10 points per $1
10 points per $1
RegularClean, PlusClean, SuperClean, Ultra 94 or Diesel Fuel
10 points per litre
From time to time, Suncor reserves the right to provide Members with Petro‑Points in non-purchase transactions for promotional purposes. Such points may, at Suncor’s discretion, expire on such date as may be indicated by Suncor, but which is, in any event not more than thirty (30) days from the date of issuance.
- Petro‑Points are not transferable from one account to another; however, enrolled Members can accumulate Petro‑Points together by calling 1 (800) 668-0220. The primary Member card, together with all associated supplementary cards, are referred to as a “Household”. A maximum of nine (9) supplementary cards may be issued per account, and each card may only be associated with a single Household. When a Member joins a Household, all of the Petro‑Points points in such Member’s account are pooled with the points of all members of the Household. Any Member of a Household may, at their sole discretion, redeem any or all of the Petro‑Points that are held by Members of that Household, including points that were earned by other Members of the Household. Each Household Member is solely responsible for discussing the use and redemption of Petro‑Points with the other Household Members. Suncor accepts no liability for any losses suffered by a Household Member as a result of another Household Member’s redemption of Petro‑Points. When a Member of a Household redeems Petro‑Points, points will be deducted from the aggregate Petro‑Points balance available to all Household Members. A Household Member can use their online Petro‑Points account to view the total balance of Petro‑Points that are available to Household Members, as well as a history of point transactions.
- Any bonus Petro‑Points awarded in respect of initial account activation (if applicable) will not be awarded on any re-issue of lost, stolen or damaged cards.
- Suncor will pay all applicable taxes on the rewards redeemed (except for taxes on flights or environmental taxes, or as otherwise advised by Suncor). The Member may be required to pay additional fees such as, but not limited to, deposits, booking fees, fuel surcharges, excess baggage charges, auto installation fees, and other costs.
- To redeem Petro‑Points, a Member must have accumulated sufficient Petro‑Points required for the applicable item. Suncor reserves the right to limit the maximum number of Petro‑Points which may be redeemed in any one in-store Dollar Off Rewards transaction or series of such transactions to 100,000 points, or such higher amount as may be set by us from time to time. Additionally, Suncor reserves the right to: (i) limit redemption of Petro‑Points for gift card purchases to one redemption per day per Household; (ii) restrict unregistered cards from the ability to redeem points; and (iii) implement such other redemption restrictions as it may deem appropriate from time to time to address or mitigate fraudulent transactions.
- When redeeming Petro‑Points, the Member’s Petro‑Points account will be reduced by the specified number of Petro‑Points required for the reward being redeemed. If Suncor deems it is reasonable (in its sole discretion) to accept a return of the item, the Member’s account will be credited with the appropriate number of Petro‑Points. Petro‑Points rewards may not be returned for cash.
- Unless otherwise permitted by Suncor, in its sole discretion, Members may only redeem Petro‑Points in the province of residence listed in their member profile on file with Suncor. Members are responsible for keeping their address information up to date by signing into their online account at www.petro-points.ca or by contacting us at 1 (800) 668-0220.
- Not Applicable In Quebec: Suncor assumes no responsibility for any loss, damage, defect, injury, death or expense relating to any reward.
- Petro‑Points have no cash value and cannot be exchanged for cash. They can only be used to redeem rewards under the Program in accordance with these terms and conditions. Petro‑Points are not transferable, cannot be sold or purchased and may not be exchanged, gifted, bartered, mortgaged or made subject to any security interest or charge and may not pass to a Member’s successors or assigns. Petro‑Points do not constitute property of the Member and are not divisible in case of death, divorce, separation, legal proceeding or closure of an account, or for any other reason. Notwithstanding the above, Suncor may allow the exchange of Petro‑Points from time to time with Partners, as defined on petro-points.ca.
- The rewards have the warranty of the manufacturer.
- To the extent permitted by applicable law, Suncor reserves the right to change or discontinue the Petro‑Points program at any time, without advance notice to any person outside of Quebec. For Members residing in Quebec, Suncor will provide such Members with notice in the event these terms and conditions, or any aspect of the Program is restricted, suspended or changed, at least thirty (30) days before the amendment comes into effect. Such notice will be provided by posting the amended terms and conditions online at www.petro-points.ca, and by sending the Member written notice using the email or mailing address associated with the account (if the Member has provided Suncor with such an address), setting out the new clause, or the amended clause and how it read formerly, and the date on which the change will come into effect. Upon receipt of such notice, and if the amendment entails an increase in the Member’s obligations or a reduction in Suncor’s obligations, such Quebec Member may refuse the amendment and rescind or cancel such Member’s participation in the Program without cost, penalty or cancellation indemnity, upon such Member providing notice to Suncor to that effect no later than 30 days after the amendment comes into force, at the address or email address indicated in the notice. Such Member will then have forty-five (45) days to redeem any Petro‑Points in such Member’s account. Any Petro‑Points points that are not so redeemed after 45 days will be forfeited. In the event of discontinuing the Program, Suncor will attempt to provide at least sixty (60) days’ notice to all Members, within which Members may redeem any outstanding Petro‑Points.
- Members are responsible for keeping track of the number of Petro‑Points in their account. All Petro‑Points totals, as shown on the purchase receipt, will be deemed to be correct, unless otherwise determined by Suncor in its sole discretion. Discrepancies must be addressed with Suncor within sixty (60) days of the date the discrepancy occurred. A Member may confirm their current Petro‑Points balance at any time by visiting petro‑points.ca or by calling 1 (800) 668-0220.
- Suncor is not responsible for any errors or omissions with regard to the Petro‑Points program (including, without limitation, any errors, omissions or delays in the reporting or transferring of Petro‑Points earned with its Partners in the Petro‑Points program) or other Partner programs detailed herein. Partners determine the conditions under which they will issue Petro‑Points, and those conditions may change at any time, without notice. Suncor is also not responsible for any loss or unauthorized use of Petro‑Points or for any redemption of Petro‑Points in the Program or points from other Partner programs. Members must notify Suncor (1 (800) 668-0220) immediately if they have lost or had their Petro‑Points card stolen. Members must also notify Suncor if their card is damaged. Suncor is not responsible for any delays in replacing the Petro‑Points card, or for delayed, used or lost Petro‑Points, prior to receipt and acknowledgment by Suncor of the applicable Member’s notification of a lost or stolen Petro‑Points card.
- Members are responsible to advise Suncor (either by updating the Member’s online account at petro-points.ca or by calling 1 (800) 668-0220) of any changes in the Member’s address or contact information.
- Any failure to comply with any of these terms and conditions or any violation, fraud or abuse of the Program, promotional offers, or any misrepresentations of fact or other improper conduct (as determined by Suncor, acting reasonably) may result in disqualification from Program participation, forfeiture of all Petro‑Points, and possible termination of the Member’s account without compensation at Suncor’s absolute discretion.
- The Program is void where and to the extent prohibited by federal, provincial or local law.
- No more than 20,000 Petro‑Points will be awarded per member per day on any convenience store purchases, and no more than 20,000 Petro‑Points will be awarded per member per day on any fuel purchase transactions made at any participating Petro‑Canada Retail Station or Partner location, unless otherwise expressly agreed by Suncor.
- Suncor will not be liable or responsible in any manner for any tax consequences which may arise from any participation in the Program.
- Petro‑Points earned through Partners will not be reflected in a Member’s account balance until such Points have been transferred from the applicable Partner.
- Petro‑Points will be forfeited upon the closure of a Member’s account. Suncor reserves the right to close or restrict from redemption rights any Member account that has been inactive for twelve (12) consecutive months (meaning that the Member has not earned or redeemed points during such period) after providing any notice required by applicable law, and upon such closure, all accumulated Petro‑Points in such account will be forfeited. Upon a Member’s death, someone who is authorized to deal with the Member’s estate (such as an executor) may redeem the Member’s Petro‑Points by calling 1 (800) 668-0220 within [ninety 90] days of the date of the Member’s death. Suncor may request additional documentation to process these redemptions. Members may cancel their participation in the Program at any time by calling 1 (800) 668-0220. If a Member elects to withdraw from the Program, any unredeemed Petro‑Points will be forfeited at the time of such account closure.
- The following Terms and Conditions apply to “Dollar Off Rewards” being the exchange of Petro‑Points for discounts on purchases of Petro‑Canada fuel or convenience store items:
- Unless otherwise permitted by Suncor in its sole discretion, Petro‑Points may be redeemed in increments of 1,000 points. For example, redeeming 1,000 points = $1 off the purchase of Petro‑Canada fuel or convenience store items.
- Dollar Off Rewards can be used towards the purchase of either fuel or convenience store items.
- Dollar Off Rewards cannot be used for the purchase of tobacco, vaping products, alcohol, gift cards in-store, lottery products, or any other items specified as exclusions from time to time. Also, not available for milk products in New Brunswick.
- Dollar Off Rewards have no cash value and cannot be used as cash back.
- Petro‑Points may be redeemed as full payment towards the full purchase price rounded down to the nearest dollar, or act as a partial savings towards the amount owing. The total number of Petro‑Points redeemed must be of equal or lesser value to the total amount owing based upon the conversion rate set out at 24(a) above. If the total number of Petro‑Points redeemed is of lesser value to the total amount owing, the Member shall pay the difference owing using another form of payment.
- General Terms
- Choice of Law and Jurisdiction. Except in Quebec, these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws in force in the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein, and you agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario.
For Quebec - The parties attorn to the jurisdiction of Quebec and this Agreement shall be construed in accordance with and governed by the laws of the Province of Quebec and Canada.
- Language: These Terms and Conditions and all related documents have been drafted in the English language at the express request of the parties. Les présentes modalités ainsi que tous documents s’y rattachant ont été rédigés en langue anglaise à la demande expresse des parties.
- Currency: All amounts referred to in these terms and conditions are in Canadian dollars (CAD), unless otherwise noted.
- Severability. If any portion of these Terms and Conditions shall for any reason be deemed to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the validity of the remaining portions shall not be affected and shall remain in full force and effect.
- Specified Participating Partner Locations